Interviewing: Do You Have Any Questions?
10 Simple Questions to Ask on an Interview
Arguably the most stressful moment in an interview, “do you have any questions?” is enough to make the room suddenly feel twenty degrees warmer and cause a minor lapse in your ability to speak coherently. Hiring managers ask this question at the end of an interview to
- Ensure you’ve fully understood the scope of the role, and
- Evaluate your interest in the company and the position
Good candidates go to an interview fully prepared, having read the company’s website, the background information of the individuals she will be interviewing with and the background information of the individuals she will be supporting. Great candidates take it a step further, researching the company culture, its strengths within the industry and its projected growth pattern (or lack thereof).
When asked if you have any further questions, never say no. Instead, here are 10 simple, open-ended questions you can ask on an interview. Keep in mind that some of these questions are geared more for second, third, or fourth rounds of interviewing when you’re likely meeting the person you will directly support.
- How would you define success in this role?
- What is the managerial style of the person I will support?
- What is the most important quality or characteristic a new hire would bring to this team?
- What strengths do other administrative professional bring to the company?
- In what ways does the company support professional development?
- How would you describe the company culture?
- What is your preferred method of communication?
- What tasks do you view as the most important for your EA to complete?
- Aside from travel coordination, scheduling and reports, what other assignments do you typically delegate to your EA?
- How often do you evaluate your EA and how often is that feedback communicated to him/her?
Bonus Question: If you were to arrive at two final candidates with equal experience and technical skills, how would you choose one over the other?
Image: By J. Howard Miller, artist [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Find Your Executive Assistant Now
If you're interested in hiring an executive assistant, personal assistant, office manager, or other support staff, we can make finding the perfect candidate fast and easy. Contact us to get started.Find My Assistant